Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Be Open Minded

Like with anything, you get nervous trying something new when it comes to your writing. Many people get complacent in life, and when something seems a bit of a challenge, a little scary or unknown, they run the other way. There is no difference in your writing business. Maybe you are used to one style of writing, one type of writing, and you are afraid to step out of the box to accept a new challenge.  Well, don't be. There are too many opportunities out there to close your mind, off, into looking into all opportunities.

As a freelance writer, there is so much out there and available on the web that it is almost impossible to "not" find what you need or are looking for. If you are expanding your horizons to include, offering other services, you can do it just by researching some on the web and learning how to offer these services.

I started, barely knowing the business at all, and now although I feel I still have a lot to learn, I know so much more than I did when I began my own writing business.  All I did was get online and start researching every topic I ever had a question about.  I learned as much as I could about as much I could.

Freelance writing is a, never-ending learning experience.  It is a constantly changing and growing field, and I never assume I know everything.  I am constantly looking, learning, and trying.  My motto has become: It never hurts to try. And when I do, I usually find that I really enjoy that new type or style of writing. Sometimes I have found that I don't enjoy a particular type of writing, but that just leaves that much more time to hone in on the types and styles of writing that I do enjoy.

For your learning experience, there are online writing courses, writing blogs full of information, writer's groups to join, and more. There is really no excuse in not learning what you want to learn to progress your writing career. With everything imaginable at your fingertips, there is really no excuse in not being open-minded to learning something new; something different.

Being open-minded and 'taking a chance' can mean the difference between opening more doors for yourself, or shutting them. And the more you open, the more opportunities you will see flood through them.

Keeping an open mind in the writing business is a crucial stepping stone to furthering your career. If you want to see your career blossom, look beyond your limits for a wider, brighter horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment